Saturday, June 7, 2008

Breakfast at Galleon Cafe, St. Kilda

At Galleon Cafe, the settings are retro and remind me of my nan's 1950's dinner setting. Cute plastic covered chairs, nostalgic simple tables and rickety stools of varying heights are clustered around the reasonably spacious room. The kitchen is open and bustling.

Me and El Beardo Bacon Chops enter and spy that the only available space is a spot in the window on a couple of the stools. I tower over El Beardo on my slightly taller stool, but all is well, because the friendly staff spot us straight away and offer menus, water and coffee service. Great stuff!

Our soy latte and flat white arrive in good time, and are just above average in quality. I survey the room to sticky-beak on other people's food choices. The porridge with strawberries and banana looks creamy and comforting. The museli is generously enhanced with fresh fruit and yogurt. The savoury big breakfasts look huge and brightly coloured.

Unfortunately they have run out of rice pudding, my first choice. I choose instead the bircher museli. El Beardo goes for the Drunken Sailor breakfast option, which is eggs, bacon (of course), tomato, spinach and mushrooms on toast.

The bircher comes in a tall glass, with poached pears and yogurt on top, delicious! Just enough to fill me up, but if I was hungrier I would need to order another small dish. However, for $5 this is great value!

El Beardo's big breakie is certainly huge! The food is well cooked and fresh, with copious amounts of poor dead piggie on his plate. (BACON). I steal some of the mushrooms and spinach on a bit of toast, and it's good quality food.


In all, the verdict -
  • Great value. Lots of cheap options for the budget-impaired.
  • Coffee could be better. Not at all bad, but not near the best I've had.
  • Perhaps an upgrade of the rickety stools would be good, I love the look, but I'm a clumsy eater, and a few lurches on my stool caused a few more spills than normal!
  • Good staff.

I rate Galleon Cafe:
7 out of 10 rickety stools!


Galleon Cafe
9 Carlisle Street
St Kilda, VIC 3182
Tel: 03 9534 8934

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I love the Galleon! Have only been a couple of times since I live northside, but am so impressed by the extensive, cheap menu.