Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Green Refectory, Brunswick

Mmmm, mid-week breakfast on a day off work. Yay!

The Green Refectory is a modest looking doorfront place with no signage, but the huge mouth-watering display of muffins in the window instantly drew me in.

The Illy coffee was cause for celebration, as was the option of soy milk. Good coffee!

I was in a sweet mood today so I opted for French Toast, with yogurt on top and a full poached pear on the side. The toast was raisin toast, but the overall meal could have been better. The yogurt was a weird touch in my opinion. If I had cooked it myself at home I would be a little disappointed.

Friend #1 had a savoury homemade muffin made of pinenuts, pumpkin and fetta which looked great.

Friend #2 had the Breakfast Stack which was pretty impressive, which had a potato fritter topped with bacon, choice of poached or fried eggs, HALOUMI (expertly done) grilled tomatoes, a side of spinach, and housemade relish. Good food.

The cakes and salads on offer looked wonderful, and the staff were cheerful. You have to order and pay at the counter, there is no table service as such as far as ordering goes, but they did bring us water.

In all:

  • Good prices for the budget impaired
  • Illy coffee = great!
  • Awesome range of muffins and cakey things
  • Nice atmosphere, I like the rustic walls and easy-going vibe


I give the Green Refectory:

6.5 out of 10 muffin high tops!




The Green Refectory
115 Sydney Road
Brunswick
Ph. (03) 9387 1150

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jaye!

Great blog!

My names Laura and id love to get in contact with you regarding a new Australian Entertainment website. wordonthestreet.com.au focus on unbiased reviews of events, shows, products, restaurants etc

Have a look at what its all about here;www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52099551626&ref=ts

We're currently approaching the bloggers we feel will add the quality and interest we need to the Food & Wine section of wordonthestreet.

If your interested i'd love for your blog to be involved, give me a buzz on laura@wordonthestreet.com.au.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you soon!


:) Laura

Ruby Anne P. said...

Hi,

I visited your site and found it very interesting. I appreciate the way you talk about food and do the reviews on restaurants. With this, I'd like to give a $10 discount voucher to your site which your visitors could use in their take-away orders placed on our website (from 500+ restaurants Australia-wide). All they have to do is just type the voucher code (which will be provided to you upon response to this message) at the check out.

Thanks,
Ruby Anne (ruby@menulog.com.au)