Sunday, June 15, 2008

Breakfast with El Beardo& his Folks at Bistrot d'Orsay

Faced with the prospect of taking El Beardo's mum and dad out for breakfast on a blustery Saturday morning, and given the destination "city", I frantically scrabbled around until I came up with what looked like a suitable place: Bistrot d'Orsay.

Small-ish, dark, cosy - it was perfect for escaping the elements of Melbourne's wintery Saturday offering. The french style ornaments, pictures and beautiful painted ceiling lend the atmosphere a classy touch.

The breakfast menu is very simple - museli, muffins, fruit toast, and several egg dishes make it easy to choose. After a boozy night the night before, I couldn't face eggs, so I chose the muesli with fresh fruit option. And strong black coffee. NO SOY MILK is points off in my opinion.

The coffee was very good, just a little bit bitter on the aftertaste. But it was strong and flavoursome. We were served water without having to ask - excellent! Good service, if a little cold.

My muesli (toasted) was served with a jug of cold milk, but disappointingly not enough 'fresh fruit'. Just some thinly sliced strawberries and shaved apple on top. And a side dish of greek yogurt.

El Beardo had eggs benedict, which he described helpfully as "yeaaah, pretty good" which if decoded into the (un-forthcoming) longer conversation version, means, "tasty, yes, and filling, but nothing here is really striking me as phenomenal or worthy of searching out again".

In all, the verdict -
  • Everything was well-presented
  • The coffee was very good
  • The atmosphere was very nice
  • NO SOY MILK! GAR!
  • Not my favourite place for a return visit, just compared to the high standard of other places I've been to.

I rate Bistrot d'Orsay:
5 out of 10 French inspired fresco ceilings!




Bistrot d'Orsay
184 Collins St, Melbourne
Tel: (03) 9654 6498

No comments: